Wednesday, January 13, 2010

January 13th, 2010

Valerie's Desk Drawer


Since Valerie left me , I have been sitting at her desk.

I turn the light on in my own office every morning.

I check my voice mail.


Then I go sit in Valerie's office.


Sometimes I spread her business cards all around.

I use her pens.

I talk on her phone,

type on her computer,

and say, "Over here!" when my coworkers are looking for me.

And I ate most of the crackers she left behind.

This morning, I finished off the Tums.


Yesterday, I got a text message from

Val telling me that her beloved Mammaw died.

A picture of the two of them used to sit on this desk.

I wish I could sit with Val today like we used to everyday

from 12:00 - 1:00, and tell stories about

our grandmothers.

But I am grateful to be here in her chair,

in her old spot, casting every comforting thought I can

her way. To her new spot.

Love, love, love to Val and Mammaw.

xoxo

No comments: