Thursday, February 25, 2010

February 24th, 2010

Larry West
Providence Middle School

Yesterday afternoon I had the
pleasure of seeing Providence Middle School's
production of Thoroughly Modern Millie (Junior)!

I was invited because one of the students who
in the show has cystic fibrosis and
ended up hospialized--unable
to fulfill her role as a singing,
dancing Priscilla Girl.


A life with CF sometimes
means you can't fill certain roles.
But CFers always manage to play other roles.
Like Hero.


This particular student, Brianna, leads a team
in the annual GREAT STRIDES walk in
Richmond, VA. They raise over $5,000
every year for CF research.

Her fellow actors, out of love and respect for what Brianna does,
decided to donate proceeds
from today's show to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

It's my work, so on a professional level, this was good news.

On a personal level I simply could not believe my
luck of being able to watch a group of incredibly
BRAVE and talented students bring this show to life.
By intermission, my face hurt from smiling.

If you ever wonder if you should embrace life
and live in an exclamation point sort of way,
just go see a play. A local middle school play
would be best. But Broadway will work if you
can't catch a show at home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good going Amy! You're right talent in the raw is so enjoyable.

katyisme said...

Hi! You probably won't remember me, but I was an Usher, and my older sister I told you about has CF. Briana is a hero. She's such a sweet girl too, I've known her pretty much since she was born when she and my sister where to poster children for CF at my Elementary school. Hope all is well for you!
~Katy S.