Wednesday, February 10, 2010

February 10th, 2010

Larry and Katy Brydon

Oh! Networking!
Breakfast Clubs!
Business card exchange!
I'm Amy!
Who are you?

I'm supposed to "network."
With strangers.
It's not something I love doing.

But early this snowy morning
I found myself at a breakfast
meeting--to network.

I was a little early. I put my L.L. Bean
canvas tote (my version of a briefcase)
on my chair and took my coat off.
Oy.
There were 8 or 10 men in suits
standing around the coffee pots
chatting about...
I don't know.
I didn't get that close to find out.

I was just standing by my chair when a woman
walked in and said,
"Oh! Good Morning! The tables are so pretty!
Did you do that? I hope everyone comes
this morning despite the snow! How are you?!
Oh, look at her pretty sweater.
I'm Katy!"

She never stopped being that positive and lovely.
She engaged everyone she saw in
sincere, give and take conversation, making
sure to repeat their names so that she
would remember them and acting as if every
stranger she met were a long, lost friend.
I just stuck by her and walked around the
room with her. If nothing else comes of
my breakfast networking, I am so happy to have
met Katy--and her husband Larry. The next
time I have to get up really early to go
hang out with a bunch of people I don't know,
I'll try to be as full of wonder and grace as
Katy Brydon.

Larry and Katy opened MacLaren Jewelers in November.
I wish them all the success in the world in this new venture.

No comments: