Friday, October 29, 2010

October 29th, 2010

Elaine Carter Whiddon

It makes me laugh that Elaine
has "Family Feud" listed as one
of her interests on her Facebook page.

I am happy (and lucky) to know
Elaine because of her fierce dedication
to her own family.

She's part of Beau's Brigade, a team that
gets together every spring to raise funds to
find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis (CF), a life-threatening
disease that her grandson Beau is living with.

Elaine makes a donation to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
every year that
gets Beau's Brigade on the back of the
event t-shirt. The first year that I added it
to the event t-shirt we had a lot of sponsors and logos and
Beau's Brigade was printed a little lower on the t-shirt.
The next year, when it came time for Elaine to make her donation,
she called me, a little sheepishly, and said that she had
a special request.
"I'm old," she said, "and like to tuck my
t-shirts in. When I tuck last year's shirt in Beau's team
name gets hidden in my pants."

BEAU'S BRIGADE
is now printed very near
the top of the t-shirt.
For Elaine and her generosity.
For reasons only I know
(well, you know, too, now).

Even though Beau's Brigade only gets together
one day of the year to walk as a team, Elaine is
a bright spot 365 days a year for me--as I am sure she is
for her family and all of those who know her.

xoxo


No comments: